Saturday, October 17, 2009

Educators

I work in one of the most "blue collar" of white collar professions: education. What I do for a living is more like what I do for living and the living and the unborn. I also work with the ideas and thoughts of dead men and women: the giants on whose shoulders we stand (to paraphrase Sir Isaac Newton). My profession is timeless, timely and timed by bells; it is also priceless (to borrow the Master Card slogan). Undervalued, underpaid, (mis)understood, we rise above the madding crowd every day. The best educators bring light to humanity and hope to the desperate; the worst, darken the spirit and close doors of the imagination. Our work is important; our students are our inspiration. From Socrates to Anne Sullivan to the men and woman who passionately pursue this noble calling, educators are the life blood of society. "If you can read this blog, thank a teacher."

No comments:

Post a Comment